Module: Top Team Alignment
Top Team Alignment
In most organizations a strategy has been defined and strategic goals have been set. Yet members of the board or management often appear to understand and explain the same strategy differently, and they all work towards different goals. That is counter productive.
The Top Team Alignment module provides a method to create clarity on the interpretation of strategic goals, choices and values that are actually shared and seen as common by the top team. Such a team is all-important for alignment in the broader organization, because “alignment trickles down”: if there is no alignment at the top of the organization, don’t expect it on the shop floor.
The starting point is a Strategic Alignment Quick Scan that reveals how people within the board or management think about strategy. Following this, we conduct strategic dialogue sessions and/or workshops with the team in which we increase alignment and establish a shared strategic agenda.
- Unclear strategic direction within the organization.
- Difficulty in prioritizing projects and programs.
- Insufficient support and ownership of the strategy among the top team.
- Need to translate strategy to the organization.
- The emergence of initiatives that do not align with strategy.
- A concrete, clear “one-page-strategy” supported by the top team.
- Ownership regarding this strategy in the top team.
- A strategic narrative for engaging and activating the organization.
- Action perspective to strengthen alignment on strategic issues.